Friday, February 27, 2009

Our first nature walk!





With all this new info I have acquired over the last few months, nature studies have intrigued me the most. I love to explore nature, I remember running through creeks, fields, and just leaving for hours and coming home at dark when I was a child. However, now as an adult, I think of snakes, spiders and other creatures that also live in nature and I'm not sure I want to front that alone, so...my cool idea was to ask for friends to come along! The Littles thought this was a great idea and so off we went after our Mom's meeting at church.



We went to a nearby park located on Cypress Creek. We went down to the shore and tried to find something unusual and we did. Seashells. I have no idea how those got there. We saw a lot of trash and were able to have a good talk about why that can hurt the wildlife around. Once we were through there, we headed back up the hill and onto the path. The kids immediately started seeing things that they normally would have just walked right by. The pulled out their sketch pads and started sketching.

We traveled further and saw the creek from so many angles. The kids found an old stump and decided to count the rings to see how old it was. It was 26 years old. We found trees with diseases (or so we thought).
We also found a tree that would make a very good home for an animal, and we found a centipede.


Thank you Littles for coming with us and making our first nature walk so much fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment