Monday, February 9, 2009

Homeschooling on vacation

We just got back from a wonderful, relaxing weekend at the beach. The beach you ask, in Feb? Yes, here in south Texas you can go and have an amazing time in Feb. The wind was perfect for kite flying and the hermit crabs were out and about.

My whole plan was to bring some formal lessons and then throw in a bunch of science and history, well forget the formal stuff, I needed a break. But the history is what really took over. My parents came with us and my dad was able to take my girls on a history lesson that will last with them forever! My grandfather was stationed on the USS Lexington when it was first out at sea. We toured the Lex and learned so many things and learned all about what my grandfather did. Where he slept, ate and worked. It made it completely real to them to know that their great-grandfather was on this ship during wars, and then they saw the war rooms, the ready rooms for the pilots and the ship's engine where he was "in charge." When we got home and I asked my daughter to narrate for me, I was amazed at all the things she remembered and it was so interesting to see what she took from this incredible lesson. My next lesson for her (daddy's idea) is to have her and dd#1 write a story about what it was like to live on that ship for a year. I can't wait to read what they write!!

No comments:

Post a Comment